Assistant Director of Development
Year-Round Full-Time Employment
Schedule and Salary
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience; full benefits
Application Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply
This position offers an opportunity for a committed development professional to leverage experience in a variety of development roles for this key leadership role. The successful candidate will focus on the following: Work closely with the Director of Development (DoD) to monitor and meet the department's revenue goals. Includes working with the Zoo leadership, both staff and East Bay Zoological trustees, and guiding the committee for the California Trail Capital Campaign now in its capstone and public phases, and potential successor capital or special campaigns. The Trail will open to the public in mid-June 2018. Develop systems, strategies and timelines for cultivation and solicitation of major donors both institutional and individual. Serve as a resource to the overall Development program including the annual fund and building long-term donor engagement. As part of the Development team, work to advance the goals of the department and the Zoo. Supported by Development Associate I and II. Uphold the mission and values established by the East Bay Zoological Society (Zoo) and adhere to Zoo policies and procedures. Adhere to ethics and guidelines for development professionals as outlined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- California Trail Capital Campaign: With guidance from the DoD, and in collaboration with the Campaign Committee, continue to update and track strategies
and timelines work for donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation to complete the California Trail Capital Campaign by June 2018.
- Responsible for the plan's implementation including managing campaign logistics, prospects research, materials preparation, and donor relations. Identify
and track donor prospects with the campaign team, including the committee co-chairs.
- Successfully solicit prospective donors; assist volunteer solicitors to prepare for solicitations.
- Track expenditures and funds raised to support the work of the Zoo's CEO and CFO.
- Adhere to department protocols for recording accurate and current information about donors and donor prospects in Raiser's Edge.
- Coordinate and prepare for campaign committee and/or volunteer leadership meetings
- Demonstrate superior customer service in all work internally (i.e. co-workers; volunteers, and boards and committees) and externally (donors and prospects,
- Support the work of the Department including assisting DoD in department planning and work plans when appropriate. Participate in Department stewardship
and cultivation events.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking including recognizing the distinctions between strategies, tasks, and outcomes
- Excellent communication skills in writing, message development and oral presentations for development-related audiences as well as individual donors
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Raiser's Edge
- Excellent time management skills; can set priorities and manage multiple projects; ability to work alone and as a supportive partner and leader
- Disciplined to embrace details and accuracy; self-starter, well-organized and flexible
- Familiarity with nonprofit membership programs
- Familiar with Bay Area philanthropy and public non-profits such as zoos, parks, conservation, cultural, animal welfare or environmental organizations
Bachelor's Degree from accredited college or university
- Minimum six years of experience in development that includes significant experience in:
- Strategic and program role on a capital campaign, closing gifts from major donors, and sustaining relationships with foundation funders
- Building a professional career path in nonprofit development
Please note that this job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and the people or person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of the personnel for this position. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant, and personnel may be required to perform duties beyond this list or outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time or as needed.
How to Apply
P.O. Box 5238
9777 Golf Links Road Oakland, CA 94605
© 2017 Oakland Zoo. All rights reserved.